Discovery Education | Chicago, IL | May 2012 - Present
User Experience Architect
Create UX solutions for a wide variety of engaging, online learning experiences including interactive games, core-instruction materials, and innovative student assessment and presentation tools in the K-12 education space.
- UX Lead for Techbook product line, collaborating with product owner to set feature and development prioritization, defining business requirements, and creating corresponding user stories
- Create wireframes and high-fidelity prototypes for implementation reference, as well as for use in early sales presentations
- Write detailed specifications and acceptance criteria to define user interactions which are relied upon by the development
and QA teams to ensure accurate system behavior
- Work closely with developers during implementation to identify, analyze, and propose solutions for late-discovery issues,
iterating on designs as needed
- Work in an agile development environment using the SCRUM methodology
DePaul University | Chicago, IL | 2010-2012
Instructional Technology Assistant(2011 to 2012)
Graduate Assistant (2010 to 2011)
Assisted the Faculty Instructional Technology Services Department in the migration from the Blackboard Learning Management System to the Desire2Learn Learning Management System.
- Worked with faculty and staff of the College of Communication to construct online courses within Desire2Learn System, providing recommendations to improve student experience
- Updated existing LMS documentation to reflect new procedures and language
- Assisted department team members in faculty training on new system
- Created site architecture and executed site design of a resource repository geared toward faculty learning the Desire2Learn system
Holt McDougal | Evanston, IL | 2003-2008
Producer (2007 to 2008)
Associate Producer (2005 to 2007)
Managed the development of multimedia educational technology products for the Science discipline, including online and DVD-ROM books, audio CD-ROMs, websites and presentation software.
- Led project management of English and Spanish audio CD-ROM production for eight science textbooks totaling over 250 hours of recorded material. Wrote the request for proposal, evaluated and recommended vendors, and negotiated the final contract. Selected voice talent, developed schedule and managed vendor adherence. Performed testing and ensured on-time delivery
- Developed Excel-based workflow to track and organize thousands of digital assets that produced XML documents to drive a Flash-based media gallery for classroom instruction, the centerpiece of the market-leading textbook technology product in its discipline
- Developed requirements for and managed production of a series of online Flash-based textbooks, overseeing the conversion by an outside vendor of text-based material into fully interactive content
- Developed and maintained test plans, and oversaw execution of testing and defect resolution of multiple web-based and standalone Flash-based interactive educational products, ensuring timely and accurate delivery of key components of the company's core products
Independent Consultant (2003 to 2005)
Established quality assurance practices to assess level of functionality, user experience, and overall quality for a series of online textbooks, tests, and PowerPoint presentations.
- Led content reviews with senior editorial staff members, finalizing art placement and copy for in-class presentation CD-ROMs
- Managed an outside vendor to create Flash animations demonstrating the features of in-class presentation tools, for use by sales representatives. Ensured delivery on time for use in key sales conference, enabling the company to demonstrate its new line of innovative products
- Created online tests for a series of five textbooks, performed quality assurance, and developed training materials detailing the process
Interep | Chicago, IL | 2003
Assisted Directors of Marketing in research and implementation of radio promotion programs.
- Conducted research for new business development
- Developed presentations for new business pitches
- Placed and tracked advertising orders with radio stations nationwide
Weber Shandwick Worldwide | New York, NY | 2002
Public Relations Intern, Chicago, IL (2002)
Provided account support for clients including S.C. Johnson, got milk?, Tyson, Burger King, and the National Pork Board.
- Pitched news stories to top-tier media outlets
- Tracked and monitored media coverage of clients
- Researched information for potential new programs and clients
M.S in Human-Computer Interaction
Graduated with Distinction
DePaul University, Chicago, IL
B.A. English/Journalism and Mass Communication
University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA